Good AI discussion in a Night Club thread

Good AI discussion in a Night Club thread below:

Thank you Barry. I feel like I need to get on board with ChatGPT or I will be left behind. I signed up for an account.
Coincidently, yesterday, I had a friend post about a class in Udemy she took that she liked. I am also thinking of taking that course.
I would also like to use it for dream sketches.
Did you happen to see 60 minutes last night? The majority of the show was on AI.

2 Likes

Didn’t see 60 Minutes but I’m not surprised. Seemingly, the under 30 something generation expect technology to advance at breakneck speed. For those of us a bit older, not as much. I remember the popular book “Future Shock” which made a small ripple back before the turn of the century, but I think even the author would be shocked by where some of us are technologically. On the other hand, much of the world has not been as positively/negatively affected by the digital and tech revolution and advances in other technologies. How goes it in the Africa you know?

1 Like
1 Like

My partner is under 30 and I’m barely over 30. Fear of the singularity isn’t talked about as much now as I remember it being 20 years ago or so, and even less than it was in the late 90s I hear.

2 Likes

Not sure what this means, sorry. My under 30s frame of reference is the '60s. I was out of the country for most of the 90s. Is this about not having a partner?

I wasn’t alive before the nineties, and my significant other was born in Y2K.

You mentioned the 90s. Not sure what you mean by the feat of singularity. Does it mean fear of being alone?

No. It refers to a time in the future when AI is predicted to overtake human intelligence.

I do think there are certain human mental aspects that robots can’t be artificially taught, like love. In the sci-fi animated TV show Futurama, which takes place in the early 31st century, robot rights parallel the 60s civil rights movement for racial minorities.

2 Likes

Here is what GPT had to say about the singularity:

The “singularity,” often referred to as the “technological singularity,” is a hypothetical point in the future at which technological growth becomes uncontrollable and irreversible, resulting in unforeseeable changes to human civilization. The concept is most commonly associated with the idea that artificial intelligence (AI) will surpass human intelligence, leading to rapid advancements in technology that are beyond human comprehension or control.

The term was popularized by mathematician and computer scientist Vernor Vinge in his 1993 essay “The Coming Technological Singularity,” although the concept has its roots in earlier works by mathematician and logician I.J. Good and futurist Ray Kurzweil. Proponents of the singularity argue that once an AI achieves human-level intelligence, it would be capable of improving its own design and creating even more advanced AI, leading to an “intelligence explosion.” This could result in rapid advancements in various fields, including medicine, nanotechnology, and space exploration.

The idea of the singularity is controversial, and opinions on its likelihood and potential consequences vary widely. Some researchers and futurists believe that the singularity could lead to a utopian world where technology solves many of humanity’s problems, while others fear that it could result in the extinction of humanity, either through AI taking over or through unintended consequences of rapidly advancing technology. There is also debate over when, if ever, the singularity might occur, with predictions ranging from within the next few decades to never happening at all.

1 Like

@BARRY have you tried the Auto GPT?

This thing is next level GPT - like GPT x100 in what it can do.

However, GPT is coming out with Plugins, which will essentially allow for the same thing.

1 Like